Grandparents Raising Head Start Grandchildren
Concerted Services, Inc. Head Start program has been awarded a three year grant from the Office of Head Start to provide services for grandparents raising Head Start grandchildren. This partnership project will focus services in three areas:
Networking will include events that feature speakers and topics that offer support and information for older caregivers. Topics will include behavior management, guardianship, divorce, chronic illness, domestic violence and other topics current to this target audience. The informal groups will allow interaction and socialization. The project will partner with the Regional Development office on Aging KinderCare Program.
Encouragement will include formal and informal support groups to allow grandparents to share experiences, discus issues, and access to local, state and national resources to assist them in taking better care for their grandchildren.
Training on early childhood development, safety, emergent literacy, school success, intergenerational values, and other topics will be presented in a series of workshops offered.
Research shows that the number of grandparents raising grandchild has increased over the past ten years. Many families are living with their parents and grandparents in this time of economic slowdown. The Grand.NET Project is designed to support this great group of people who takes on the added responsibility of raising another generation of children.
For more information about the Grand.NET program, please contact Anita Young or Letta Cox at (912) 285-6083 or toll free 1-800-477-8275.
- AARP International
- American Bar Association Kinship Care Legal Research Center
- Brookdale Foundation – Relatives as Parents Program
- Casey Family Programs – Kinship Care
- Census Bureau
- Child Welfare League of America (CWLA)
- Children’s Defense Fund (CDF)
- Generations United: National Center on Grandfamiles
- Georgia Department of Human Resources
- Grandfamilies State Law and Policy Resource Center
- Grandfamilies of America
- National Committee of Grandparents for Children’s Rights
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren